Successful people and entrepreneurs generally have a common set of traits and habits; some that they were born with and some they have learned along the way. Below is a list of some of the most common ones. Hopefully you are doing or have all, or have learned a few new ones to try an incorporate for the future:
1. Get up early. – Nearly 50% of all self-made millionaires get out of bed at least three hours before their work day starts. Many of them use the free time to handle personal projects, plan their day, or get in a workout.
2. Read. A lot. – 88% of wealthy business owners devote at least 30 minutes each day to education or self-improvement reading. Most do not read for entertainment, but if you enjoy a good novel, it can be helpful as well.
3. Spend 15-30 minutes per day focused on thinking. – Taking time to process everything that is going on in your life is very important. Reflect on your career, your health, and your personal relationships. Having quiet time to analyze your thoughts is associated with stress reduction.
4. Make exercise a priority. – We all know the health and mental benefits of exercise, but did you know it could also help you run your business? Carving out just 30 minutes per day to do some sort of physical activity each day can help double your productivity.
5. Spend time with people who inspire you. – You’ve heard the saying, “you’re only as strong your weakest link”, but have you heard, “you’re only as successful as those you associate with.” Volunteering is a great way to meet other motivated, positive individuals and develop them by keeping in touch. It is important to be choosy about who you spend your time with and limit your exposure to negative people.
6. Avoid wasting time. – Second only to money, time is your greatest resource. Investing your time in anything means that time is lost forever. When running a business, risk management is extremely important. When you see time as the greatest risk of all, it will force you to become more aware of how you are investing your time.
7. Manage your emotions. – Successful people are emotional just like everyone else. The difference is they have learned how to manage their emotions in a smart way. Mentally strong people are acutely aware of how their emotions influence their thoughts and decisions. Practicing self-control and discipline is an extremely important part of running a successful organization.
8. Say ‘no’. – When you say yes to something, you are, in effect, saying no to something else. Make sure that the things you are agreeing to are worthwhile, matter, and add value to your business.
Success can be mysterious and can mean a great many things to different people. These behaviors are learnable and could easily be worked in to your daily routine. We are what we repeatedly do. If you are able to implement these, then excellence becomes an act, not a habit.